Monday, February 18, 2013

My Life Example of the Notebook

My Grandparents were the epitome of lasting love. They set the example for what I can only hope to have. 
The real example of the Notebook- my grandparents #dreamsmorerealthanreality
Frank and Lena Ensign


My Grandma and Grandpa were neighbors in their teenage years. They grew to love each other more every day. In 1944 they were married. They were not perfect, but who is? They had five children, made it through my Grandpa going to war, made it through the depression and low salaries, with a lot of young mouths to feed. 
My Grandmother left a legacy book behind for me and she talked about some of their first dates together. One in particular, she said she would always walk fast and my grandpa said "slow down so I can hold your hand and I will walk with you." They had dates just like Noah and Allie, and the funny thing is, my grandma told me she wasn't sure if she liked him when she first met him. Once she got to know him that  all changed. Through out their lives my grandpa always made sure she was taken care of first and foremost. He made sure she had a nice house, pretty clothes to wear, and someone who always loved her. I got to read about a lot of great stories of their lives in her legacy book and my grandpa's  legacy book that was given to my mother. It's like the book Noah wrote for Allie, so once my grandpa passed, I would tell some of the funny stories to my grandma. Even though she couldn't speak, I knew she was listening, and I hoped it would bring back happy memories. 

“I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve  a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough..” — The Notebook

They watched their children grow up and were there for their grandchildren. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a lot of time with them through my life. Those memories I cherish deeply. I have an immense amount of fond memories with the both of them. My Grandpa and I shared movie watching and the love of outdoors together. Can't forget about the importance of  late night snacking as a child, which was always important with him. My grandma and I shared the love of baking, creativity, and most importantly she taught me true kindness . 

As they got older things got harder on everyone, especially my grandfather. My grandmother developed Alzheimer's, which became a very sad decline, very similar to Allie. However, worse than her case unfortunately. My grandpa got frustrated at times, but took care of her the best he knew how. There came a point where care was beyond his control, their children's control and caretakers didn't suffice. She had to go to a home with Alzheimer's care.
We went to see her all the time and took him to see her as often as possible. He loved her so much that once his car/driving privileges were taken, he would hitch hike from Wimberly to Austin if we couldn't take him to see her. He would do anything and everything for her. Thats love right there, not what you buy but what you do. All he wanted to do was go hold her hand and make her smile. She beamed when he walked in the room, when his name was mentioned, or even when we held the phone up for him to talk to her. 

I adopted a puppy during that time and thought it would be nice to bring her to visit my grandmother. I never knew that it would make such an impact on my dog and my grandma. 
At this point, my grandma was losing her speech and ability to feed herself. The minute my dog, Kona, came in, something triggered her mind. She spoke clearly for a little while. My Grandma even grabbed the leash from me and walked Kona around the home. I will never forget that day and how alive my grandmother was for those few moments. 
From then on, Kona always came with me to visit. Even my Grandpa was fond of her. The hardest thing was Kona getting bigger and telling her she couldn't lay in bed with grandma anymore. To the very end, my Grandma responded positively to Kona being around.

Time moved forward and Alzheimer's was beginning to hit really hard on my grandma. She stopped walking and stopped talking completely. The response was still there in her eyes and with her hands, when she'd hold your hand and squeeze tight. Sadly things went down hill for my grandpa who was taking care of himself at home. He had a bad fall and was taken to the hospital with pneumonia. My grandma also got pneumonia in the home. Both my grandma and grandpa ended up in the hospital side by side. We wheeled my grandmother in the same room with him. 
They did everything together. Even getting sick. Their love was beyond what so many have, it was a connection so deep that I can't even fathom. That bond was so strong, especially towards the end. Both left the hospital and this time my grandpa went to the home too. My grandpa could no longer live on his own. The pneumonia took a turn for the worst, but no matter how sick he got, the thing he always asked was, "How's Mama?" "Take care of Lena, I'll be okay." He cared so much for her and she knew it. 
My Grandpa soon passed away in August and my Grandma followed on December 1st. They couldn't be apart after almost 69 years of marriage. Their love gives me hope, that what you see in a movie can be real with the right person. I'm so thankful for my grandparents, they taught me so much. I am also thankful for my wonderful mother that had to lose both of her parents within a few months of each other. She has always been so strong and caring and was constantly taking care of both of her parents and balancing work. 
 I just hope that everyone else can have at least one example of true love and kindness in their life and that you remember life is short, make every moment count. 

”A birth certificate shows you were born, a death certificate shows you have died, a photo album shows you have lived.”



No comments:

Post a Comment