Wednesday, July 31, 2013

German Chocolate Cupcakes

German Chocolate Cupcakes- the best coconut pecan frosting! #Dreamsmorerealthanreality
This frosting is fantastic! I got tired of corn syrup being in frosting recipes or too much sugar in the pre-made stuff. So, I created my own recipe using evaporated milk. I must warn you, it's delicious and you'll probably want to just eat it. This recipe is a big crowd pleaser amongst kids and adults.

For the Frosting:

1 Stick Butter
12 oz. Evaporated Milk
3 Egg Yolks
1 1/4 Cups Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cornstarch
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup finely chopped pecans
1 1/2 Cup shredded Coconut


Turn your pan on medium heat and add the brown sugar, evaporated milk, egg yolks, and butter. Add in your cornstarch and bring to a slow boil, continuously stirring. That way the egg yolks cook fully.
Now bring down to low heat and add vanilla, pecans, and coconut. Stir until thick mixture forms and remove from heat. Let cool for 10 minutes, then place in a bowl to refrigerate for at least 4 hours.


German Chocolate Cupcakes- the best coconut pecan frosting! #Dreamsmorerealthanreality
 
I made the icing from scratch, but I used box mix for these particular cupcakes because I had to make a mass amount of them for a party. Typically I would make the cake from scratch. Here's a great recipe for the German Chocolate cake portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment